Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Close Encounter






One of my highlights from our trip to the Grand Canyon was from a 6:00 a.m. walk to take some Elk pictures. I wandered over to the school where they bed down for the night in dozens. As I approached the school yard I heard some bugling off to the side. I looked and there was the great one. A huge Elder with a big rack. It is the rut so all of his women friends were surrounding them. I decided I would do what was daring and take some pictures. I hid behind trees and started snapping pictures at a very close range. Several times he looked at me, and looked annoyed. It wasn’t long before he turned away and went further into the woods. I should have been satisfied with the pictures I got, but I wasn’t and decided to follow him. I had to walk/run to keep up with him. He came to the small village street and started to cross over. I followed him at an angle and continued to snap pictures. After about three pictures, he stopped and turned to look at me as if he was saying, “I’ve had enough of you lady”. I got that picture and started to take another as he came rushing toward me. Luckily, his rack was so big that it slowed him down as he tried to go through the trees. I was through snapping pictures and I ran as fast as I could. I decided that was enough for me.

No comments: